There is no way to file an appeal on a past years’ assessment. The only way to get a refund from the county is if one can prove he or she overpaid due to a technical error, like a square footage discrepancy in the improvment or the land.

A person emailed me this a.m., mentioning that he would like to go and appeal the previous / or back years’ assessment on his home.  I mentioned that once the deadline to file an appeal is expired, that’s it.  That value stands and there are no appeal rights for that tax year.  The only way one can obtain a refund from the county is if he or she can prove the county was overcharging them based on an incorrect square footage on an improvement or the land size.  It’s rare, but it does happen once in awhile and in the event that it does happen, the taxpayer is entitled to go back three years only to obtain a refund for the difference.  For anyone who has questions or comments regarding property tax appeals, please contact me at  Thank you.

About taxappealatlanta
I help my clients save money on their property tax bills by appealing their property tax assessments. I primarily work in the metro Atlanta GA area, including Fulton, and Dekalb Counties, but also work all over the southeast.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: